Hello all and welcome!
I hope you all are well…It’s been a couple of weeks since my last tutorial but I’m back today with one for The Witch’s Cauldron that was featured on one of my latest projects. This was part of the Sizzix Chapter 3 release that Tim Holtz announced on Facebook Live a few weeks ago. It featured the new Halloween and Christmas dies. I was so happy and honored to have been asked to make samples along side so many talented makers. Many thanks go out to Tim, Mario and Paula for asking me to contribute. If you missed it you can check it out in these links to HALLOWEEN and CHRISTMAS. Also, head over to timholtz.com and check out the names and links to all the other talented makers that contributed…it’s an inspiration overload!!
Today’s tutorial is going to focus more on some of the techniques that I used to create the Cauldron and the lovely crackled and aged effect on the Idea-ology found relative.
In part 2 of my post I’ll explain how I created the candles, crackled vials and how those spooky halloween backgrounds were made. Then I’ll show how the project all came together. I hope you find lots of inspiration from it and most of all, try some of these techniques!
So, let’s begin with the Cauldron…
I cut the Cauldron out of a piece of Alcohol Ink Brushed Silver Cardstock. This is a new paper that came out in January at Creativation. It’s so AWESOME because it is a heavier stock, and when Alcohol Ink is applied to it, creates a very distressed and vintage metal look. Perfect for an old witch cauldron!
After it was cut I embossed it and it’s handle with the Ink Splats Texture Fade. (This texture fade is an oldie but a goodie and I believe it has been retired, but it may still be available at places like Tuesday Morning.)
I also cut the cauldron out of a piece of Distress Watercolor Paper. (Not pictured) The 3D look of the cauldron was achieved by attaching the two cut pieces together to create a pocket that the leaves and stick could be inserted into.
I glued the right and left sides of the cauldron together and left the bottom part open. I glued the area at the top of the pot, the area right above the slit, to the same area on the watercolor paper. This made it very sturdy so that when I added all the things spilling out of the pot it wouldn’t bend or break.
When it sits, you dont’t see that the bottom of the cauldron is open, but it created an area for the cauldron to rest on. Wouldn’t these little stand alone cauldrons make a wonderful place setting for a witchy Halloween themed party!?!
When the cauldron is cut, a slit cuts in the top where it can then be used as a spot for a treat, lollipop or, in this case, my leaves and a stick.
With a blending tool and felt pad, I blended a combo of Alcohol Inks and Pearls (Mushroom, Pitch Black, Smolder and Mineral) onto the cauldron pieces. I did this until it had a good bit of aging…
Next up… using my finger, I added some Opaque Crackle Texture Paste in random areas on the pot and handle. Then I set it aside to crackle.
When it was crackled, I blended the cracked areas with Black Soot, Rusty Hinge and Tarnished Brass Distress Crayons.
I attached the handle to the pot and embellished it with a few idea-ology Mini Fasteners.
I stuffed a stick, Floral Moss and a few Sizzix Greens into the Cauldron to give it that witchy look.
The Found Relative Witch…
To give the witch a very creepy and vintage look I decided to give the photo some crackle with a bit of Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint.
With my finger (my favorite blending tool) I added a thin layer of crackle paint to the top of the photo and set it aside to dry.
When it was crackled, I gently added some Mushroom Alcohol Ink and Smolder Pearls by laying the tip down onto the cracks that were around the witch. Some areas of the crackle began to lift off after it had crackled so with my finger again… I blended a little bit of Collage Medium over the top. That fixed it perfectly! I avoided getting too much of the alcohol inks right over top of her so that she stayed in focus.
I first practiced this on a couple other Found Relatives to get my technique down pat before attempting it on my one and only witch. 😉
Aren’t they GORGEOUS??! I love the effect and it’s so beautifully simple…the crackle paint and alcohol inks do all the magic!
Thanks so much for stopping by today, and keep an eye out for part 2 featuring some more creative tips and techniques.
Have a fantastic day!
What is an affiliate program, and why should I click on the link and buy through you?..
When you shop via the affiliate link on this blog, I receive a small commission, from the affiliate provider (Simon Says Stamp), at no extra cost to you whatsoever. These commissions help me to cover hosting fees and other costs to run my blog and be able to provide you with FREE inspiration. If you shop the links, THANK YOU! I truly appreciate being able to share my love of creating with you.
Gather Your Supplies-
Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous- Fragments (CMS368), Ledger Script (CMS241)
Tim Holtz/Sizzix- Cauldron Bigz Die, Funky Florals 3, Garden Greens, Regions Beyond, Ink Splats Texture Fade, 3D Elegant, Crochet
Tim Holtz/ Idea-ology- Lace Baseboard Frame, Corked Vials, Broomstick, Corked Vials, Found Relatives, Mini Fasteners, Mummy Cloth
Tim Holtz/Tonic- Tonic Guillotine Paper Trimmer, Tonic Shears
Tim Holtz/Ranger- Brushed Silver Alcohol Ink Cardstock, Mushroom Alcohol Ink, Pitch Black Alcohol Ink, Mineral and Smolder Alcohol Pearls, Opaque Crackle Texture Paste, Distress Watercolor Paper, Clear Rock Candy Paint
Distress Crayons- Black Soot, Rusty Hinge, Tarnished Brass
Distress Tools/Mediums- Distress Sprayer, Media Mat, Heat it Heat Tool, Blending Tools and felt pads, Distress Collage Matte Medium
Other- Twig from my yard, Floral Moss